Learning to take advantage of the benefits of online college classes is one of the first things potential college students should do. Keep in mind that there is a significant difference between attending classes on campus versus online college classes.
8 Tips That Will Help You Take Advantage Of The Benefits Of Online College Classes
There are many things you can do to make your online college experience a more positive one. Here are eight of the most important tips you need to be sure you know and use/
Tip # 1
Your preparation for a traditional classroom is not the same as how you must prepare for attending online college via a virtual classroom. Here are the top steps you must take before classes start.
- Verify what computer requirements must be met and ensure that your computer set-up fulfills those parameters.
- Have a high-speed internet connection, preferably wired. You may wish to have a wireless set up as well for mobility purposes.
- Install the college recommended software.
- Verify that your computer system fulfills the technical requirements of your online college.
- Consider using a VPN for protection
- Review all course materials and individual teacher requirements
Tip #2 Know Your Way Around Your School’s Virtual Portal
No two online college virtual portal systems are exactly the same. Sometimes, they are referred to as a Learning Management System. If you want to prevent making avoidable mistakes at the beginning of class, take time to learn the system before they classes start.
You will be given instructions on how to log in using credentials unique to you. Practice logging in and moving around in the virtual space dedicated on online instruction.
Tip #3 You Will Need A Quiet Study Space Dedicated to Online College Classes
While it is true that you can listen to your online college lectures from anywhere, it is best if you have a quiet place dedicated to studying. You do not need a classroom style space. It just needs to be dedicated to your online college activities, a place where other people and pets do not wander through. They can be very distracting.
Condition yourself to think of this space meant only for attending lectures, studying, and completing homework assignments. Make sure it’s far away from the television, and your video game console.
A dedicated study space will help you stay more focused when it’s study time. Just as important, it will help you disconnect from school work when you’re done studying.
Tip #4 Minimize Distractions
Not only can people and pets be distracting, receiving notifications from social media or e-mail can also be very distracting as well. If you have frequent interruptions, it will be difficult to maintain your focus on your studies. Here are a few pointers on how to improve in this area.
- Turn off all electronic notifications.
- Close chat or messenger windows and internet tabs
- Consider using an app designed to block anything that has the potential to distract you
- Share your class schedule with family or room-mates and ask them to avoid interrupting you during that time.
- Use a Do Not Disturb sign to remind others that you are seriously engaged in your online college classes.
Tip #5 Check Your Email Regularly
You do not want to be distracted by frequently checking and sending e-mail. But, it is important that you do have scheduled times to check your e-mail. Online college students periodically receive updates from their instructors. These updates are often time sensitive and missing them can be detrimental to your online college success. Set a reminder to check e-mail once or twice a day.
Here are a few of the types of timely messages you may receive.
- New assignments or date changes for current assignments
- Updates or changes in study resources
- Instructions regarding tests and the guidelines associated with them
Tip #6 Yes, You Still Need To Take Notes
lOnline college students still have to take notes
You may think that you will never need to take notes again but this is not true. Yes, there is incredible information available to you online 24 hours a day. However, taking notes offers online college students several benefits. A few of these benefits are as follows.
- Increases student engagement with the material
- Enhances understanding of material
- Improves retention of material
Here are a few helpful hints on taking notes.
- Organize carefully and keep notes for one class in the same place, noting new units of information for ease in locating as well as where each section was tested. Do not forget to date all entries.
- Do not get behind. Science tells us that handwritten notes are better than typed. However, it is more important that you can keep up and are able to capture important details.
- Be sure to include what is the most important. Include critical dates, people, formula, key definitions and terms in as much detail as you need to recall the information to which it refers.
- Notes are useless if you cannot interpret them when you go to study for a test or to write a paper. Record as much detail as you need to have adequate recall of the information. Remember that your professors and their assistants can be asked to clarify details later on if needed.
- Use your personal best style of remembering information. For some, it is the use of mnemonic devices. Others use imagery association. The use of colored pens for certain types of information for quick identification during study sessions.
Tip # 7 Participate In Discussions
Although you are not able to participate in person, there are various online opportunities to engage with your classmates and your professors. Some professors expect their students to engage in discussions at specified times and on a particular topic. Alternatively, their are discussion boards where you may post your comments in response to the professor assigned topics.
Whether the discussions or other classroom activities are assigned by the professor or the result of student initiation, students need to participate. You will feel less isolated and more like a member of the class.
Tip #8 Online College Students Need To Ask for Help When You Need It
Your professors are there to help you when you need it. Whether for clarification or a better understanding, you can reach out to them for help. If sending an email is not suitable for the type of help you need, you can always ask to meet them in person ( if they are within driving distance, or course).
There is also the option of a teleconference style appointment. Your professors are unable to provide the help you need unless you ask. They are willing to assist you in any way they can but it is your responsibility to reach out to them for help.
In Conclusion….The Benefits of Online College Are Worth Exploring
New experiences are sometimes intimidating in the beginning. You have probably had years of educational experiences comprised of classroom lectures with other students. Recently, you may have been forced to engage in a virtual classroom due to the pandemic caused shutdown of schools.
There is a growing group of students who are choosing online college over attending campus based college. There are many benefits to selecting this route. Read about them here. https://onlinecollegelife.info/why-earn-a-degree-online/
Take advantage of the dedicated Custom Search Box provided by https://onlinecollegelife.info. You can use it to discover information on specific colleges around the country and it is FREE!