An Online College education in less than two years can be manifest in several ways. The path you choose will be determined by several factors.
In order to have a successful career, you must first know what it is that you want to do with your life. Secondly, you will need to work hard to achieve the goals you set for yourself.
While a great number of students will choose a career that requires a bachelor’s degree, this is only one path to success. This is not the only option available to you.
You may be surprised at how many employment opportunities you have that require two years or less of college. Of course, there is also the option for technical coursework and certification programs.
For students choosing one of these paths to specific in-demand jobs, this is wonderful news. Students can complete their education more quickly and establish themselves in their chosen careers.
Online College Education Is Not All The Same
This article will describe a few of your options and give examples to enhance your understanding of the different options available to you. We will spend more time on those requiring less than two years to complete.
4 Year Bachelor’s Degree
Most commonly, online college bachelor’s degree programs course requirements are very similar to those taught on campus. What are considered to be general education courses are required of all students regardless of where they are taught.
These courses are designed to provide a broad liberal arts and science background to all students. This also assists those students who have yet to declare a major to see what they might be most interested in pursuing. Therefore, they are taught first.
What Is Required To Apply For Admittance to Online Colleges?
- Personal contact information, including current mailing address, e-mail address and phone number. Some colleges request social media information as well.
- Official High School transcript with most current grades and GPA.
- Copy of High School diploma or proof of graduation when applicable or GED.
- SAT or ACT scores if required. Even if not required, they may help with scholarships and should be submitted, especially if you have good scores.
- Recommendations from teachers or counselors.
Accelerated Online College Bachelor’s Degree
These programs are created to minimize the length of time required to be completed via distance education. Some take two years or less to complete. A few offer a one year option,
Students take these highly compressed classes without breaks. The students enrolled in the accelerated programs are in class all year long. The class terms are 5 or 8 weeks in length rather than the traditional 18 week semesters.
Typical Associate of Arts or Associate of Science
Whether an online college degree or one obtained on campus, this usually takes 2 years to complete. This may be all that some students need to reach their educational goals. However, many will transfer their degree to earn a B.S. degree at a 4-year program.
Examples of Highest Paying Two-Year Degrees
|Rank||Major||Early Career Pay|
|Rank:1||Physician Assistant Studies||Early Career Pay:$55,600|
|2||Radiation Therapy||Early Career Pay:$61,400|
|3||Software Engineering||Early Career Pay:$48,100|
|4||Project Management||Early Career Pay:$48,900|
Accelerated Associate’s Degree
According to an USA Today report on Dec 3, 2019, there is now a program that permits students to complete the coursework for an associate’s degree in one year.
This so-called “Transfer Express” takes advantage of a quarter system (as opposed to a semester-based system). They compress six quarters of education into four quarters’ time.
Five Careers Requiring Less Than 2 Years of Training.
- Civil Engineering
- Licensed Practical Nurse / Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Massage Therapist
- Radiology Technician
Another Online College Option-Certificates
Some people wishing to enhance their career growth opportunities or to start a new career choose to enter a certificate program. These programs assist students specializing in one area of expertise.
This form of education can be completed quickly and also offers credentialing. A number of career-enhancing certificates take less than a year to be completed.
Many fields require certification. However, even those careers which do not require certification may offer more options to certificate holders.
Some of the benefits enjoyed by certificate program enrollees are as follows.
- Income increase
- Additional resume credential
- Continuing education often furthers one’s current career
- Enhanced, specialized job knowledge
- Networking among other professionals is expanded
How Long Does It Take To Earn A Certificate?
Many certificates increase the earner’s pay without taking a long time to complete. These programs may last from three months to more than two years. Of particular interest to many are the 3 and 6-month certificate programs.
3-month certificate programs
These are among the shortest certificate programs and take the least amount of time to complete. These certificates are for professions such as these.
- HVAC technicians, National Average Salary: $23.39 per hour
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialists, National Average Salary: $21.74 per hour
- Licensed Real Estate Agent, National Average Salary: $42.24 per hour
- Truck Driver, National Average Salary: $27.70 per hour
- Web Designers, National Average Salary: $22.36 per hour
6-month certificate programs
A few of the careers for which you can be certified in less than a year, and often within 6 months are as follows.
- Air Controller, National Average Salary: $23.53 per hour
- Brick mason, National Average Salary: $21.02 per hour
- Firefighter, National Average Salary: $21.85 per hour
- IT Support, National Average Salary: $20.05 per hour
- Personal trainer, National Average Salary: $21.41 per hour
Photos Courtesy of Pixabay